Lotus in Four Seasons, Wisdom in Hordes
Themed by “Lotus in Four Seasons, Wisdom in Hordes”, adhering to the core idea of “Community-wide Tourism+Ecology”, this year’s design competition aims to inspire players to observe and think about life, production and ecology at 12 sites selected in range of about 12km around the Quannong Street to construct an expressive language unique to the Lotus Mountain with public art installations as a carrier.
“Lotus in Four Seasons, Wisdom in Hordes” has an implied meaning that the “perpetual” tolerance of the Lotus Mountain, i.e., growth in spring, leisure in summer, harvest in autumn and health preservation in winter, presented in the atmosphere of community-wide ecological recreation.
About Lotus Mountain, Changchun
The Changchun Lotus Mountain Ecotourism Resort is located in eastern Changchun City, Jilin Province, adjoining Jilin City in the east across the Shitoukoumen Reservoir-Yinma River. In the 362-km2 region exist distinctive ice, snow, spring and forest resources. The Resort boasts a unique ecological base composed of mountains, woods and waters, including a forest that covers an area of 120km2, a water space hat covers an area of 30km2 and a wetland region that covers an area of 20km2. The first-grade air quality, distinct change of the four seasons and pleasant natural environment provide favorable living and multiplying conditions for animals and plants. Here, people live in harmony with nature, enjoying grace from nature.
The Changchun Lotus Mountain Ecotourism Resort is situated beside waters at the foot of mountains, where low hills and alluvial plains have formed a landform comparable with European and American rural scenery. After years of protection, the region has restored its pure ecological landscape, which features verdant wooded mountains, vast land, forest roads and blue water. The temperate continental monsoon climate contributes to the distinctive seasonal characteristics of the Lotus Mountain, namely different looks of landscape in the four distinct seasons here: “in a year are four seasons, which come alternately with different views”, such as flowers in spring, heat stroke prevention in summer, leaves in autumn and snow in winter. More than 350 days see fresh air throughout the year, making the region an ideal summer resort and paradise of ice and snow. The hot spring zone in the Big Black Mountain of Changbai Mountains extends here, bringing very abundant hot spring resources. Ethnic groups such as the Han, Manchu and Korean people inhabit this region, bringing into being lots of ethnic cultures and northeast folk customs on the Lotus Mountain.
According to the planning, the Changchun Lotus Mountain Ecotourism Resort will be built in the future into a leisure center in Northeast Asia, a modern service base in the Changchun-Jilin Metropolitan Region, a system innovation base in the Changchun-Jilin-Tumen River Pilot Region and a new ecological, livable demonstration region in Changchun City.
The Quannong Mountain and Quannong Street achieved rapid agricultural development after Emperor Kangxi asked the locals to “do farm work steadfastly and open up wasteland to garrison the frontiers”. 300 years later, the human society has shifted from agriculture to the service industry. For a long time, northeast China has, however, had difficulties in developing due to burden from the old industries.
Nowadays, with the fast development of cultural tourism and as northeast China looks forward to “coming round”, we hope to reshape the local environment based on the perfect geographic location of the Lotus Mountain, well-established basic facilities, abundant natural resources, colorful cultural legends and grand strategic planning in the competition. The players are encouraged to create artistic installations using environment-friendly or reusable materials and reshape aesthetic standards on the basis of respecting the environment so as to infuse permanent vitality into the earth.
For the Lotus Mountain, its “perpetual” tolerance is presented in the atmosphere of community-wide ecological recreation; for public art, it is given new challenges, new creative elements and a new way to combine with cultural tourism; for the players, there is another opportunity to show their talents.
The first, second and third prizes will be decided on among the finalists, as follows:
awarded 10,000 rmb (before taxes)
(12 sites are selected for the competition, and 1 finalist will be decided on for each site; if there is no entry for some site, the award can be presented to a second finalist at another site.)
Appraisal Procedures and Award Description:
1. The jury will make an initial appraisal of all entries to pick out 35-50 better ones, on which a vote will be called on the official website (everybody shall cast 3 votes at most every day), and the one that gets the most votes will win the Best Online Popularity Award.
2. The jury will sort the selected entries according to the sites and set one finalist award for each site, totaling 12.
3. The jury will make a final review of the 12 final entries and grade each in a comprehensive way to decide on individual awards.
4. The “Livon - Peacock Forest Highest Popularity Award” will be presented to the best of the entries at the Site of “Livon - Peacock Forest”. The entries for this site will compete not only for other professional awards, but also for this award. Livon Real Estate reserves all the right for the award.
5. The entries that fail to win any award can sell their copyright to the Management Committee of the Changchun Lotus Mountain Ecotourism Resort. For an individual entry, the transfer of its copyright will depend on the will of the Management Committee of the Changchun Lotus Mountain Ecotourism Resort and communication between both sides.
Tony • Brown
Professor at ecole des beaux arts Paris, France
One of the first artists in the early 80s to produce cutting edge technologically oriented installation art
President of SMART Executive Committee
General Manager of SHA Group Asia Pte., Ltd.
Matthew • Jarratt
Director of creative consultancy MatthewJarratt.com
advising business and organisations on commissioning artists and art
Executive Director-Elect, Art Fair Tokyo (assumes role on June 1, 2010).
Director of FEC (Far East Contemporaries).
Art promoter / Curator
Authorized promoter in China of Echigo-Tsumari Art Triennale (Japan)
Originator of China Art Triennale Project
Founder of AMRC & Contemporary Art Document
founder and director of Chinese Art Market Research Center
researcher of Fine Art Collage of National Fine Art League
Curator, Arts Administrators
Art Director of Wanying Art Museum
Requirements for Entry Submission
Contents needing to be submitted:
1. A design drawing in at least 2 sheets of A1 paper (841mm×594mm), including but not limited to a floor plan, elevation, section, rendering, analysis graph or picture data that can fully show the design concept. (There is no special requirement for drawing typesetting, which can be designed freely).
The scale and size shall be in metric units
The drawing and pictures shall be submitted in JPG, and the accuracy shall not be less than 300dpi
2. A design specification with not more than 500 words shall be submitted in WORD
3. Entry Information Table: Player (team) information, including name, address, phone number or WeChat account, email, employer and a recent photo, etc.
4. A player shall also submit a sketch, working photos and other materials related to design (pictures shall be in JPG and the accuracy shall not be less than 150dpi)
＊ A player shall adopt a way of expression consistent with the content, but the form is unlimited, and the drawing scale can be set freely
Video (2-4 minutes): in order that the design conception should be better displayed, you can submit a short video, content including an introduction to the team members and a description of the design idea based on display board content. The form is unlimited and the video shall be in MPEG, MP4 or AVI.
Artistic creativity: creative design, style optimization (40 points)
Theme relevance: ecology first, reference to a geographical region (30 points)
Practical implementation: implementable, sustainable (30 points)
Source Statement and Copyright
Before submitting your work, please read the following terms carefully for a full understanding of and agree with the terms. According to the relevant national laws and regulations, for any “player” or “author” that has submitted an entry, the Organizer shall believe that he/she has made the following irrevocable statement on the copyright of the entry submitted:
1. The entry must be an original work by the player and does not infringe on any other third parties’ any patent, copyright, trademark right or other intellectual property rights; the entry has never been published in any newspapers, magazines, websites or other media, patented or copyrighted, displayed in other competitions or commercialized in any form. The player shall promise that the entry will never be displayed in other competitions or transferred to any third parties in the same form. If a prize-winning entry is recognized as plagiarized, the Organizer shall have the right to withdraw the reward;
2. For any entry submitted through the official channel, the Organizing Committee shall have the right to display, publicize and publish it in paper, but exercising the above right shall not damage the author’s lawful rights or interests;
3. For any entry that has passed the initial appraisal, the Organizing Committee shall have the right to preferentially use it;
4. For any entry that has won a finalist award or another individual award, the author shall have the right of authorship, and the Organizing Committee shall own it. Moreover, the author shall not use the final design or design idea of the entry in other competitions or commercialize it in other places.
5. The player shall be deemed to have agreed with the above statement on intellectual property rights, with confirmation in written form or other ways unneeded. In case of disputes, the relevant laws of the People’s Republic of China shall prevail.
Q: Are there any special restrictions on the players involved in the design competition?
A: Students, artists, architects, designers and any other people that can submit entries etc., are welcome to participate in the AIM competition.
Q: Can a team participate in the design competition? What’s the size of a team?
A: A team can participate in the design competition. There is no limit on the size of a team. However, the prizes and rewards are set according to entries, so the team size had better not be too large.
Q: Are there any requirements for language used in an entry?
A: In order that the Chinese and foreign judges should better understand your work, as well as the way you interpret and express your design idea, we require that the content should be written in Chinese and English or English alone.
Q: Is there a time difference in the deadline for submission?
A: Beijing time is the only time standard for submission.
Q: Does it incur costs to take part in the competition?
A: No entry fees at all.